I'm absolutely delighted that the Somerton and Frome constituency will benefit from £7,405,508 of Government funding into flood protection schemes. This funding comes just two weeks after I wrote in PoliticsHome calling for more investment in flood defences.
Flooding devastates communities, as we have seen to our great cost across the Somerset Levels in very recent times. So many homes and families in Somerset have fallen victim to this, and it is crucial that we continue to add to the armoury of protection, in order properly to tackle it and manage our environment, our businesses and homes.
Boosting the design and construction of flood alleviation schemes, while also putting the necessary measures in place to protect homes from flooding and coastal erosion will help to guard homes and families from the devastating impact of flooding, and will allow people to feel reassured about the safety of their home and their livelihoods.
I'm expecting DEFRA flood grant investment for the following projects in the Somerton & Frome constituency:
- Flights Hole Weir Fish Pass Improvements: £20,000
- Long Load Pumping Station Pump Replacement: £985,719
- Huish Pumping Station Pump Replacement: £874,085
- Midleney Pumping Station Pump Replacement: £794,498
- Westover Pumping Station Pump Replacements: £671,128
- Northmoor Pumping Station Pump Replacement: £232,078
- West Moor Reservoir (measures in interests of safety under Reservoirs Act): £135,000